Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day Weekend

Mason started tumbling class Friday. I call it gymnastics, but I was quickly corrected by my wife and her sister that it was tumbling class. Mason loved it to say the least. Mama only took a few pictures that didn't come out so great. She is promising more next week of better quality! This clown picture of our son is the best I can do for this week!

Saturday we got up early and took Mason to Gigi and Granddad's for an extended stay. Amber and I were off to the NASCAR race in Detroit, MI. Mom and dad had gotten us tickets and airfare for my birthday. I don't know if they wanted to send me to the races as a gift...or if they wanted Mason all to their self for an extended weekend?!?!?!




Either way, we all had a blast. The only downside was that I was not with my son on father's day, Amber was not with her dad, and I was not with my dad. We made plenty of phone calls Sunday morning though!




Amber and I had a great time. We made a brief tour of downtown Detroit...not suggested, on Saturday afternoon. Woke up Sunday and went racing where our guy Dale Jr. won the race! Then Sunday we drove to Niagara Falls.






It was a really long drive. Five hours one way, but definitely worth it. It drove me nuts having to constantly convert km. to miles. UGH!!! I would like to have the guy who invented the metric system alone in the ocatagon for a few rounds! Also, I would like to go a few rounds with the genius who didn't put the km. scale on the speedometer of our Chevy rental. What a whooping there.
Amber had never been to the falls, and it had been nearly ten years since I was there. She really enjoyed it. I know I have incuded a few pictures, but they do not do it justice. It is a much bigger spectalcle in size and scale than any picture or television documentary can show. If you are ever close enough to visit, you should.


It is eerie how close they allow you to get to the edge. One would only have to climb over a 30" tall rail and jump in to go over the falls. I'm sure someone has. It is nuts. Made me nervous to be that close...Amber made fun of me...but I didn't like it one bit.


These are the American Falls about a quarter of a mile down stream. Much smaller than the main falls, they are more three dimensional and relaxing to watch. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but there is a deck and spectators at the bottom right...maniac adrenalin junkies!!! I'm just old and boring I guess!



Finally, we made our way back to the good ole U.S.A. and arrived home at 5:30pm today. Boy were we glad to see our little man. You could tell he missed us also, even though Gigi and granddad spoiled him rotten! I told Amber that it sure was a boring drive to the falls and back without someone talking and singing in the back seat all the way. He blessed us with a song or two on the way home from mom and dads! We are glad to be home and a complete family again.

1 comment:

E @ Scottsville said...

Awwww, I'm so glad y'all had a nice trip! You got some great photos, too. Glad you got to see the falls finally, Amber. =0)